Welcome to UCDC! We hope your experience here will be enjoyable and educational as you gain real world experience – and academic credit – interning in Washington, DC. As you are preparing for your trip, we wanted to give you some last minute tips to help you get to the center – and give you some things to do once you get here.
Getting to the Center
The UCDC Center is located on Scott Circle, a few blocks north of the White House.
Our address is (not your new mailing address, see mail instructions here):UC Washington Center
1608 Rhode Island Avenue, NW
Washington, DC, 20036
There are three major airports that are close to DC, all of which have several options of ground transportation to get you to UCDC:
From Ronald Reagan/National Airport
- Taxis: Taxis are located curbside throughout the airport. Approximate rate is $18-20.
- Super Shuttle: Super Shuttle is located in baggage claim. The fare for one passenger is approximately $14.
- Metro: Take the Blue Line from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport to Farragut West, which is walking distance to the center.
From Dulles International Airport
- Taxis: The Washington Flyer Taxi is the only taxi company that travels from Dulles Airport, and can be found in the ground transportation center near baggage claim. Approximate rate is $56.
- Supper Shuttle: Super Shuttle is located in the ground transportation center near baggage claim. The fare for one passenger is approximately $30.
- Public Transportation: The Washington Flyer Coach service runs approximately every 30 minutes and will take you to the Orange Line’s West Falls Church station for $10. You can then take the Metro to Farragut West, which is walking distance to the center. Additionally, Metrobus 5A travels to L’Enfant Plaza, which is on the Orange and Blue Lines, both of which travel to Farragut West. The fare is $6.
From Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshal Airport
- Taxis: The taxi stand is located just outside of baggage claim. Approximate rate is $90.
- Super Shuttle: Super Shuttle is located in baggage claim. The fare for one passenger is approximately $37.
- Trains: MARC and Amtrak trains provide free shuttle service to the BWI Marshall Rail Station, from which you can take MARC or Amtrak trains to Union Station, which is off of the Red Line. Take Union Station to Dupont Circle or Farragut North, which are both walking distance from the center. The MARC Penn Line is a commuter train, which only run during the weekdays and cost $6. See the Amtrak website for fares.
Once You’re Here
Before you go out and explore your new surroundings, make sure that you are aware of the following dates and times.
Move-in dates for students are the following:
It is the responsibility of the resident to arrive during scheduled check in hours. In the event you miss your assigned check in time you may stay in the lobby or check into a nearby hotel until the next morning. *Seniors graduating between June 17&18 will have the ability to check in until June 22.
Want to know what to expect in your new living space? Review the apartment information here.
Students are also required to attend a mandatory (residential and academic) orientation session the monday following move-in weekend. Dates are listed here.
*To see Move-in and Orientation dates for another quarter or semester, see the Academic Calendar
Want to Explore Other Neighborhoods?
UCDC Residential Life will be giving all incoming students a SmarTrip® card. If you are planning on taking the Metro – and almost everybody takes the Metro, you'll be all set! If you'd like more than one card you can also purchase SmarTrip® cards at dispensers in the Dupont Circle or Farragut West Metro Stations. They are also available for online purchase
Hungry and Want to Stay In?
If you’re in the mood to spend a quite evening in your apartment, but need groceries, there are five grocery stores nearby:
1400 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
1440 P Street Northwest
Washington, DC, 20005
1914 14th Street NW
Washington DC 20009
1101 25th Street NW
Washington, DC 20037
Hungry and Want to Go Out?
You can start trying to fit in with the locals by sampling one of the Washington Post’s 40 Dishes Every Washingtonian Must Try, or you can stick closer to home with some of our former residents’ favorite cheaper eats:
Shophouse Southeast Asian Kitchen: From the inventor of Chipotle, this new restaurant recently opened up in Dupont Circle. 1516 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036
Julia’s Empanadas: Inexpensive and delicious, this has long been a UCDC favorite. 1221 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036
Chop’t Salad: In the mood for salad? This place may not be the cheapest on our list, but it’s quick and healthy. 1300 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036
Taylor Gourmet: Even President Obama enjoys a Taylor Gourmet sandwich once in a while. 1200 19th Street NW, Washington DC 20036
Need a Couple Things for Your Apartment?
There is a Target, Marshalls, and Bed Bath & Beyond located at the Columbia Heights Metro Station (you have to transfer from the Red/Orange/Blue Lines to the Yellow/Green Line).