It is your responsibility as a resident to maintain a clean non-hazardous living space.
Alterations to Living Space
No physical alternations to living spaces are allowed:
- You may use 3M Poster Tape to attach posters and pictures to your walls.
- Holiday lights, displays in your windows, or any other changes to the inside or outside of your apartment are restricted.
You are responsible for maintaining a clean, sanitary and non-hazardous living environment:
- Custodial staff visits your apartment once a week to complete the following duties –you must make sure that these areas are clear of debris and accessible for staff.
- It is also your responsibility to clean and vacuum your bedroom and keep the kitchen appliances clean.
- Vacuums are available at the Security Desk for your use. A small hand broom is available at ResLife for your use.
- Consult with your apartment-mates on a schedule to maintain the cleanliness of the kitchen and living room.
- If you have any problems arranging a satisfactory cleaning schedule, consult with your CSD.
Kitchen Area & Appliances
How to keep your kitchen space clean:
- Appliances should be cleaned only with non-abrasive cleaners or warm, soapy water.
- Lining the drip pans and floor of the oven with aluminum foil will often preclude the necessity for heavy cleaning.
- The exterior of the refrigerator should be kept clean of stains and spills. Stock items well away from the freezer vent and avoid overstocking the freezer.
Cooking safety and suggestions:
- Do not leave food unattended. Burned food will set off the building fire alarm or smoke detector and you will be charged the costs for the fire department to respond as well as for any damages to your apartment.
- When using the stovetop always run the overhead fan/vent for up to 30 minutes after cooking.
- Do not place hot pots or pans on floors, carpets or counters. They may cause serious damage to these surfaces.
- Use your garbage disposal carefully. Never put rice, bones, seeds, or hard fruits or vegetable scrapings in it. Always run cold water at high pressure when you operate the disposal. There is a reset button under the sink that you can press should your unit malfunction. If you have a problem with the garbage disposal, or any other kitchen appliances submit a work order (link).
Trash & Recycling
Trash from your apartment should be placed in the heavy-duty garbage bags provided and put in the trash chutes located at the end of the hallway on each floor.
Blue recycling trash bins have been placed in all units for the collection of cans, bottles and plastics. Put recycling items in a separate trash bag and place in the recycle bin in the trash room.